Sunday, April 13, 2008

Weepies New Album "Hideaway" Available April 22nd

Let's get one thing out of the way up front here... The Weepies write and record cheesy pop tunes. There is no apology coming from them and you won't find one here either... and none should be offered. Cheesy it may be, but damn its good!

In 2006, The Weepies' released Say I Am You on Nettwerk Records. Things began slowly with a normal tour for struggling musicians with big hopes... and then BAM! Their music appeared in more than a dozen TV shows, as well as several major motion pictures. Their iTunes sales topped the folk charts in eight countries. Their MySpace player hit 2 million plays. JCPenney and Old Navy used their tunes as the theme songs for their major holiday TV campaigns.

What is wrong with me? Why am I writing about this? This is the exact kind of band that I usually detest.

Or is it?

Slick melodies. Well-arranged music. Unique vocals. Great songs... hell, that's what I like in a band! Yeah, this isn't gonna make me clutch my fist and grit my teeth like the Descendants do. The Weepies will never make me love the dirt under my nails and the smell of beer on my breath like the now defunct Austin, Texas band The Weary Boys do/did. Why should they?

The Weepies give me songs that I can spin when I want it quiet and low-key, when I wanna be hopeful, and content. Carve away that the "commercial" world wants to use them for selling cheap, poorly-produced products and there is still a really good song at the heart of the mush. Add in that most of the aforementioned commercial exposure are things I avoid anyhow and I am simply back to the fact that I like this band and their music and that is all that matters. There's just something about a well-groomed pop song that gets me no matter if its the Beatles, Husker Du, The Jam, The Replacements or anyone else. If its good, I like it.

The planets aligned for The Weepies in 2006 and they cashed in... as they should have. You never know when the well will run dry and you had better seize your opportunities while you can. They did and as could be expected with all of the success heaped on at once The Weepies said when they returned home in 2007, they were exhausted.

From their website:
"2006 was amazing. Coming off the road in 2007 should have been this blissed-out time with so much to celebrate, but it was totally depressing. Our rented shack in the California hills was cold, it had a leaky roof and there were mice living in it. Our electric guitar had been destroyed on the last plane flight of the year. We hadn't seen most of our close friends in months."

"We were empty," says Talan. "We both felt dark after being in the bright lights for a year. We were looking to reconnect with what moved us about music in the first place. We needed to hide out and write."
HIDEAWAY is the result of their year-long struggle to get tapped in again. Another homemade gem, HIDEAWAY is a darker companion to their last album, with 14 new tunes ranging from the upbeat title track to the jangly rock of "Not Dead Yet" to gorgeously arranged meditations like "How You Survived the War" and "Little Bird."
HIDEAWAY will be released April 22, 2008. You can pre-order at iTunes or pre-order a physical copy from Newbury Comics and receive a LIMITED autograph booklet with purchase!

No comments: